Visiting The Refuge
Opens daily at 8 A.M.
During the summer months,
the Refuge closes at 8 P.M.
At all other times of the year,
the Refuge closes at sunset.
Call (860) 653-7869 for more information.
Map of the Refuge Property
Click here to view a map of the McLean Game Refuge (updated 2-2018)
Download to you mobile device to use while hiking!
Request for permission for large picnic groups or special events may be made with the
A minimum of supervision is one of the charms of the Refuge. These few basic rules MUST be followed:
- NO MOTOR VEHICLES except for electrically-powered mobility devices for use by those with mobility impairments.
- TAKE CARE, trail conditions may not be suitable in all spots for the use of certain mobility devices or for easy walking.
- NO HUNTING, FISHING, or TRAPPING.
- Fire is an ever present danger in the Refuge. Please DO NOT SMOKE OR BUILD FIRES IN AREAS OUTSIDE OF THE DESIGNATED PICNIC AREA.
- For everyone's safety, DOGS MUST BE LEASHED AT ALL TIMES.
- PLEASE DO NOT PICK OR DISTURB ANY FLOWERS OR SHRUBS. They are precious natural assets.
- To promote safety on the trails, BICYCLES ARE PROHIBITED.
- HORSEBACK RIDING IS PERMITTED ON YELLOW BLAZED TRAILS ONLY from April 15 to November 30.
- CAMPING IS NOT PERMITTED.
Mclean Game Refuge trails are open to all visitors including those with mobility impairments that require the use of electric or manually-powered mobility aids or devices. However, trail conditions may not be suitable in all spots for the use of certain mobility devices or for easy walking. All trail users shod exercise caution. Internal-combustion powered devices are not allowed.
For more information about accessibility or our trails, please call (860) 653-7869